It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:18 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: At last, a clear night!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:22 am 

Well, clear-ish at least: there was some haze lower down, and with the bright moonlight too, not a good night for faint objects. But in compensation the air was really stable, so it was ideal for planetary imaging.
I had seen Venus and Mars low in the West in the twilight, but by 9pm Jupiter had crept out from behind the trees in the East and was ideally-placed for imaging from the patio, where I set up my C8 telescope. And with the cables from the webcam, mount and focus controls fed in through the kitchen window, I could operate from indoors in the warm.
The air was unusually stready: even while the 'scope was still cooling, the image wasn't bobbling around much, and it got even better as the evening wore on.
I captured a series of 500-frame videos at half-hourly intervals - this is the last one, from just before 11pm:
Attachment:
File comment: Jupiter just before 11pm on 1-Feb. Philips SPC880 webcam on Celestron C8 with Parks Optics Barlow lens.
Jupiter 01_02_2015 22_54.jpg
Jupiter 01_02_2015 22_54.jpg [ 19.23 KiB | Viewed 2050 times ]

I've modified the firmware in my webcam to output "colour RAW" data, and then the de-bayering is done within the RegiStax program which I used for all the processing.

Post subject: Re: At last, a clear night!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:15 pm 

Not only reasonably clear Ross but no condensation. I captured Jupiter with a serese of Videos using my Canon DSLR which produces MVI files. Is there a program I can process these in?