It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:15 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Missing images
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:44 pm 
A while back I posted an image on the gallery of what I suspected was a comet, and left the caption 'what is this object'..... It,(quite famously) became apparent that it was in fact a lense reflection and not 'comet Kos' ......but, in trying to find this image I posted it seems to have dissappeared ! Does anyone know where it is ? And how come its not on my album like all the rest I posted ??

Post subject: Re: Missing images
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:53 pm 

I recall that there was a catastrophic failure of the computer on which the BAS site was hosted just over a year ago, and I don't think that Carl was able to retrieve everything from back-ups. Some of my Gallery images went too, and some of the pictures in old Forum posts got corrupted (but I've since repaired all the ones I've found).

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:26 am 

It wasn't that catastrophic :roll:. It was enough to provoke thought and for us to move a hosted service. It never affected the gallery, it only affected the forums. The images where moved across, but because we moved to a new server the paths names had to be adjusted to reflect the new server. If I recollect the symptoms where the image was missing from the post to be replaced with an image place holder with a red cross. So the original post should still be there, with a missing image.

Dean -- I've searched high and low and can't find the post or can I find the image in the gallery. I've doubled checked and only the Administrator (which is me!) can delete and edit other member posts, and I'm pleased to say :D I've have no need remove anyone posts.

If you still have the original image you can re-upload to the gallery. I'm sure some off our newer member's would like to see comet dean.

EQ Mod
QHY5 Guide camera
Cannon 1000D SLR Camera

I choose to image with an 11" SCT Celestron in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard......

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:53 pm 
Thanks for the replies, this had nothing to do with the forums, it was an image I posted on the gallery and literally within a couple of days it dissappeared but I thought it was taken off because the mystery had been solved and it wasn't a comet after all.......
I have still got the image somewhere as I used it, as Phil states, in the talk I did on beginning in astronomy, I just couldn't understand why it went off site that's all when all the other images I have ever put on there still remain.

Last edited by dean_kos on Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:23 pm 
I blame the BAS pixel pixies...
:shock: