Sad News - Sir Patrick Moore RIP

Please see the other forums before posting here but this is to discuss projects, ideas, stories or ask general questions about Astronomy.
cstone

Re: Sad News - Sir Patrick Moore RIP

#1 Post by cstone » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:22 pm

Very Sad, RIP Sir Patrick Moore :(
Celestron 11" Telescope
Eq6 Pro Mount
Eq5 Mount
EQ Mod
QHY5 Guide camera
Cannon 1000D SLR Camera

I choose to image with an 11" SCT Celestron in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard......

rwilkinson

#2 Post by rwilkinson » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:04 pm

As well as astronomy, he was a true giant in the field of broadcasting too - he held the world record as the longest-serving TV presenter, having hosted The Sky At Night every month since April 1957 - six months before the space age began! I think that he'd missed just one of the 721 episodes - and that was only because he was hospitalised at the time (2004).

But aside from his serious work as an astronomer, I remember him making a few comic cameo appearances in shows such as Morecambe and Wise, and I recall him back in the 1970s singing a duet with Dr. Magnus Pyke, performing The Banana Boat Song on TV!

He certainly led a long and varied life - from being the youngest member of the British Astronomical Association (aged eleven), and then an RAF navigator on Wellington bombers in WW2. He even met Orville Wright and Albert Einstein (who played the violin whist Patrick accompanied him on the piano!). He was also once a keen amateur cricketer, occasionally turning out as a leg-spin bowler for The Lord's Taverners.

PMiskiw

#3 Post by PMiskiw » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:09 pm

Used to watch Sky at Night when I was a kid with my dad who now is also 89 and still asks what Patrick is commenting on in his programme.
Also remember seeing him play the zylophone.
Sadly missed.
RIP.

bbones

#4 Post by bbones » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:04 pm

He will be missed and a great loss to Astronomy, I was watch Sky at Night this afternoon and was only saying to Gloria how much he has contributed.

RIP Patrick