It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:55 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Hi All!
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:37 pm 
I would like to take this opportunity to introduce myself to members of the society. My name is Lee Renshaw and I became interested in Astronomy as a child after my parents bought me my first telescope. However as the years passed I became interested in other things, like many children do.

Over the last several years I've purchased different telescopes but never really used them to there full potential. Last July I turned 40 and decided that I was going to buy myself a new telescope and pursue my journey in Astronomy. I purchased a Meade ETX-125 AT telescope, which was a cracking little telescope (but I wanted better). In September last year I purchased my Meade LX90 8" ACF UHTC, which is a bit of a beast. Between buying the ETX and the LX90 I purchased a 1/2" CMOS Planetary, Lunar & Solar Video Camera, along with a few other bits and pieces. I captured some great images of Jupiter, Saturn and the Moon, but I didn't really know what I was doing properly. As the year was drawing to a close I purchased a DSLR camera as I wanted to capture some deep sky objects. The Great Orion Nebula was the first thing I captured (like most people do) and I was amazed. From then on things just spiralled as I moved from one object to another seeing what I could capture.

After nine months of going solo and not having a network of friends who share the same interest, I decided to look at joining a club. I looked at ones in the North West and noticed that there was one pretty much on my doorstep.

I look forward to getting to know you all and picking your brains individually, so you can advise me how I can improve in all areas of astrophotography.

See you soon.

Lee

Post subject: Re: Hi All!
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:05 pm 
Thanks Phil :)

Post subject: Welcome Lee
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:42 am 

Hi Lee, and welcome aboard - it was good to meet you on Tuesday.

With your 8" SCT and those two digital cameras you've already got the main prerequisites for imaging both planets and deep-sky objects, and I see from the pictures which you've uploaded to our Gallery that you've already learnt the ropes of digital imaging.
But keep all your RAW images and AVIs safe, so that you can go back and reprocess them as you learn more advanced techniques - something to do whilst waiting for the next clear night!

Post subject: Re: Welcome Lee
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:28 am 
Thanks Ross,

I keep all my data (which is quite a lot). I'm hoping that as I get to chat with members of the society, they'll tell me where I've been going wrong etc.

I've had some advice over the past few months from someone who has been taking astrophotography pictures for over twenty six years. His advice has been invaluable to me, as it's enabled me to get better images of the planets.

The image of M42/M43 was just lights. I've processed images with lights,darks, flats and bias in the past also. Need to speak with other members about this as I've had some imaging issues sometimes doing this process.

Lee

Post subject: Re: astro-imaging
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:33 pm 

Well Lee, our Tuesday Tutorials in June and July should be just what you need:
http://www.boltonastro.org.uk/activites/tutorials.php

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:20 pm 

Lee,
Welcome to the club.
you've got a great camera. As Ross has said we have a workshop on DSLR processing coming up. I am planning to cover pre-processing and first stage processing including removing light pollution which is often our biggest problem.
Might be worth you looking at the thread on planetary imaging using Canon's live view as well.
cheers,
David

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:44 pm 
Thanks David,

I will be attending both the imaging workshops that have been organised. I have upgraded now to a Canon EOD 500D, even better results from a few tests shots I have done. Also just bough a new OTA and saving up for the EQ6 mount.

I'll have a look at the thread you mentioned.

Thanks

Lee