It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: FITS files from Atik Infinity
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:10 am 

It appears that our new Atik Infinity camera saves its *.FIT output files in a format which IRIS cannot recognise.

But I have found a way around this: simply use the old ArtemisRGB program to batch-convert the .FIT files into 16-bit RGB *.TIF images, which can be loaded into IRIS in the usual way.

Last edited by rwilkinson on Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:58 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: FITS files from Atik Infinity
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:40 am 

Do you think FITS Liberator from the Hubble web site will also do the job?

http://www.spacetelescope.org/projects/fits_liberator/

Bill

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:19 pm 

I've solved another issue with using these files in IRIS.

The Atik .FIT files don't include the Time_Obs field in their headers. This time-stamp is normally transferred into IRIS, and is required by the TRANS2 function which I use for aligning comet images for stacking.
I had a similar issue with my old Atik 16IC camera (although in that case the time-stamp was in the header, but in a different format to what IRIS expects). In the case of the Infinity images, the time-stamp is part of their file-name (e.g. Image 151122_184115_820.fit from 18:41:15 on 22-Nov-2015).

Happily, I've found a solution for both cameras: if I compile a text-file TIMES.LST listing the times of each image, then I can use the INIT_DATE command in IRIS to re-write the time-stamps of its internal .FIT files.
I wrote a Batch-file to do this automatically for my 16IC files, and I've just managed to modify it to work with the Infinity too.

If anyone else runs into this problem, email me and I'll send you a copy of my batch-file.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:55 am 

In the spirit of continuous improvement, Atik have released a new version (1.2 beta) of their Infinity software, which saves their .FIT files in a format which other programs can read.
So they can now be imported into IRIS in their raw format - although some care is needed to preserve the Most Significant Bit and get the colour-decoding right.
I've written a couple of script-files to do this as a simple 2-step process.

Care must also be taken when converting the 16-bit signed CFA files into 48-bit colour images: it's possible to get numerical overload in one or more of the colours, resulting in dark centres in any saturated stars. This can be avoided by re-scaling the CFA values x0.8 before the colour-conversion. I've written another script-file to do this.