It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:49 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: IRIS in Windows 10
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:04 pm 

IRIS. In windows 10, the command icon greys out so the commands box doesn't appear. Using windows compatibility program, I fixed that but then the ability to drag and drop files for CFA conversion, which worked prior to the command box fix, is now lost. Any one with a solution??

Post subject: Re: IRIS in Windows 10
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:50 am 

The drag&drop doesn't work when running IRIS under WINE in Linux either, but Carl and I found a solution (see elsewhere in this Forum):
  1. Put the camera files into your IRIS working folder, renaming them as <filename>1.CR2, <filename>2.CR2, etc.
  2. Then in IRIS run the command CONVERTRAW <filename> <newfilename> <number of files> to convert and load the files.
  3. You should then find the raw files available as <newfilename><number>.FIT, ready for calibration

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:21 am 

No issues with IRIS for me after upgrading my Win 7 PC to Win 10.

IRIS works normally without doing or setting anything. Nothing greyed out and drag and drop fine. Been right through processing a set of images and all worked as before.

Drag/drop probably doesn't work if you re-installed IRIS and didn't have read/write permissions granted to the folder.

So far only issues are with the new browser, Edge, and it not knowing all my remembered passwords etc. that I had in IE.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:35 am 

Thanks all. One step forward. Two steps back. I've resolved the drag - drop problem. The command box icon doesn't grey out now but the command box doesn't come up so I've no way to type commands in. Also, only part of the image comes up. (Didn't gerald have that problem?)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:02 am 

When you re-install IRIS then you will need the latest libdcraw.dll as well

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:17 pm 

Thanks David. Dii installed and I now have a full image. Can you tell me where I find permissions. Is it a plugin?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:14 pm 

Explorer > Right click on the folder > properties > security and give it full control
Iris can then write/move files to the folder.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:00 pm 

I've been at this all day. Drained. Finally removed the need for a windows password. Finally got IRIS command box to open and now lost the ability to drag and drop from explorer to IRIS for CFA conversion which I retrieved before and now forget how.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:48 am 

I spent some time at Bill's on Sunday evening, and although we did manage to get the IRIS Command window to come up properly, no matter what we tried we just couldn't get the drag & drop to work. :(
But I confirmed that the CONVERTRAW method could be used to load a group of raw files (although they first needed to be renamed as <filename>1.CR2, <filename>2.CR2, etc.)

However Bill has since discovered that the drag & drop won't work on other programs either, so this isn't an IRIS-specific issue but something more general in his Win10 installation. :roll:

I also learnt that Win10 won't run .BAT files (which I use a lot for pre-sorting and renaming my files), so I'll be sticking with WinXP on my astro laptop!

Last edited by rwilkinson on Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:26 am 

IRIS works okay for me and not getting many problems with Windows 10 I've not had to make any changes to get it to work! :D

One difference maybe is that on the machine I'm using I did a clean install off Windows 8.1 (backed everything up and formatted the disk) prior to the upgrade. Then downloaded IRIS.

One thing you could try is to rename the iris.ini file located in C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Windows and let IRIS create a new one.

Beware you do loose your settings if you make this change, so make a note of them.

EQ Mod
QHY5 Guide camera
Cannon 1000D SLR Camera

I choose to image with an 11" SCT Celestron in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard......