It is currently Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:54 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Missing "Thresholds" panel in IRIS
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:39 pm 

I've just been helping Len to fix a problem with running IRIS on his new Windows8 machine: the "Thresholds" panel (with the sliders) had disappeared off his screen, and the toolbar button to recall it was greyed-out. He'd even tried re-installing the program to no avail.

It turned out that the missing panel had been open all the time, but its position had moved off the visible area of his screen and each time IRIS started it recalled the last position of this window from the IRIS.INI file, so it was always "invisible".
The solution is to open this .INI (text) file in NotePad, manually change the Threshold_X and Threshold_Y fields to smaller values (e.g. 600, 400), and re-save it. Then when you open IRIS the panel will be visible on-screen so that you can move it to a convenient location.

Then the only problem is to find the .INI file - in WinXP and earlier systems it was always in C:\WINDOWS\, but on my Win7 machine I (eventually) found it in C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Windows\, and Len had to use the Search for "hidden" files function to locate it on his Win8 machine.

Anyway, now that he's got the program working properly, he'll be able to make an animation of the movement of comet Siding Spring near to Mars which he captured the other night...

Post subject: Re: Missing "Thresholds" panel in IRIS
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:53 pm 

Ross,
The same thing happens if you use IRIS on your laptop at full resolution and then connect to the projector for a BAS workshop session! The projector is only 1024 pixels wide and if you are in the habit of putting the stretch window on the right it will be invisible once the projector connects and unreachable. It is not just new PCs. I get around it by (temporarily) changing the resolution and moving the window to the left hand side.