It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Astrotortilla
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:52 pm 
Hi all,

I did a quick search to see if this has already been mentioned but couldn't find a result so I thought I'd mention a very useful and free bit of software which I tried over the Easter weekend. It's 'Astrotortilla' which can be found here;

http://sourceforge.net/p/astrotortilla/home/Home/

and with the install, setup instructions I used here;

http://lightvortexastronomy.blogspot.co ... using.html

Very briefly, I've now found I can do away with 3 point alignments and go straight to imaging my target after doing just a polar alignment (I've found alignmaster quite useful for this).

Basically, the astrotortilla (AT) controls both the mount and camera (using something like BackyardEOS or Nebulosity - there is a list of compatible camera software). You slew to your proposed target, AT takes a picture and platesolves the image and comes up with a correction which it sends to the mount causing it to slew to the actual target of choice. It's pretty clever as it determines where the scope is pointing, not where it thinks it is pointing.

I did this and it worked first time, I was very impressed. I believe it can also be used to return to a target on successive nights by loading a previous image from your hard disk rather than the camera.

It does take a bit of homework to set up to match your scope's focal length and field of view but the lightvortex link is very easy to follow (it even has pictures :D )

I hope this is some use to someone out there.

John

Post subject: Re: Astrotortilla
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:33 pm 
Never heard of that one John
Good find :D
Andy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:23 pm 
Yes, I find it very useful and easy to use. It does take a bit of setting up to start with but once done you do not really need to fiddle with it again.
I set it up so that it will plate solve for my two scopes C8 and 150P differing FoV. It can also be configured for different cameras.
I use it with APT camera control software.

I would certainly recommend it.

Ian

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:42 am 

sounds good, will be having a looksee just bought byeos

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:47 am 
Hi,

One thing I forgot to mention is EQMOD needs to be set to 'Dialogue Based' not 'append on Sync' for AT to work fully (it's a drop down setting under the Align/Sync' box).

I think you'll like BYEOS, I love it. Very easy to use with loads of features - I need to try the dithering option with PHD to reduce noise even more.

John