It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:22 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Linux and WINE
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:48 pm 

For those that are interested and have been watching the LinuxSaga I've been able to get Registax 5.1 running on Debian 6.0.6 using WINE (Wine Is Not an Emulator).

WINE allows Linux users (hook and by crook) to run Windows Apps on Linux natively without using any virtual desktops. It is struggling with the Cannon EOS Captures and Registax 6 loads but won't do much else. Iris seems to load okay, but unlike registax I've yet to give IRIS a run for its money

So what's the point? Well WINE does give a glimmer of hope to those that have Mac OSX. If you don't want to run parallels and want to claw back some CPU, storage and memory from that XP / Win7 machine running in the background DarWine might be worth a play. Though use at your own peril!

Plus it was a challenge, why not!

Attachments:
File comment: Registax happily processing away with the WxAstroCapture in the background ready to be used
Registax.png
Registax.png [ 745.38 KiB | Viewed 4381 times ]

EQ Mod
QHY5 Guide camera
Cannon 1000D SLR Camera

I choose to image with an 11" SCT Celestron in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard......

Post subject: Re: Linux and WINE
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:14 am 

Can also report IRIS works on Linux, and very efficiently as well.

You need to rename your files as <filename>1.CR2, <filename>2.CR2. Then use the following command CONVERTRAW <filename> <new filename> <number of files> to convert the files. (Thanks for finding the command Ross) After which IRIS performs and behaves like a windows application.

WINE also maps a Z:\ drive your $home. You can create a working folder inside your home folder and not worry about transferring files into the WINE directory.

Given my XP machine a new lease of life and loving Linux right now 8-) But not for the faint hearted :geek:

EQ Mod
QHY5 Guide camera
Cannon 1000D SLR Camera

I choose to image with an 11" SCT Celestron in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard......

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:37 am 
No thanks re: Darwine Carl -
the performance drain in Parallels 8 (allows Windows to be installed & run all programs on a non-windows machine) is almost nothing, compared to a similarly spec'd PC i'll be running Win 7 64bit quicker on my Mac than it installed natively on a dedicated windows machine.
Linux is the 6 fingered relative of Mac OS after all, though powerful in itself, too much mither when Mac OS is so established.

Well done for persevering with it though reading the posts there was quite a bit of head-scratching with it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:34 pm 

I've also been able to get PhotoShop CS2 running as well

You need to make sure that the Times32 font is installed by downloading and running one of the corefont installers http://heanet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/corefonts/times32.exe.

The actions work and so far I've encountered no problems or errors

EQ Mod
QHY5 Guide camera
Cannon 1000D SLR Camera