It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: NexStar Control Pad
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:04 pm 

I've just tried this minimalist telescope control utility with my Celestron CG5-GT mount:
http://www.nexstarsite.com/NSCP/NSCP.htm
It looks to be ideal for remote-control adjustment of my mount from indoors whilst I'm doing planetary imaging with a webcam. In the past, I've had to run the Cartes du Ciel program just to use its Telescope Control Panel, so NSCP should do the same with a lot less CPU resource (which is limited on my 10-year-old WindowsME laptop!).
It's also got an interesting "spiral search" mode, to move the 'scope in ever-increasing circles whilst trying to find the planet with the webcam's tiny field-of-view.

Post subject: Re: NexStar Control Pad
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:57 pm 

This simple program is ideal if you just need a way of remotely "nudging" your mount from time to time, e.g. when imaging the Moon, Sun or planets at high magnification. You don't need the whole kaboodle of ASCOM, EQMOD and a planetarium program for this application, just this little (120kB) program and a serial lead to connect to the bottom of your handset.

The user interface is very simple:
Attachment:
nscp.png
nscp.png [ 10.36 KiB | Viewed 3689 times ]
and you can even reverse the direction of motion linked to each arrow button, to get your target to move in the desired direction.

Eb has just confirmed that the program also works with a SkyWatcher GoTo mount (as Synta use the same command protocol as Celestron).