It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:44 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Brecon Beacons AstroCamp 2014
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:34 pm 

Hi,
I'm thinking of taking a trip to the AstroCamp 20th to 23rd Sept. Has anybody been before; I notice that the forum has a comment from Oct 2012. Any advice, do's and don'ts would be appreciated. I've never done camping before so it will be something different to say the least.
Cheers,
Eb Swarbrick

Post subject: Re: Brecon Beacons AstroCamp 2014
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:13 pm 

If you are referring to the Baker Street Irregular Astro Camp I've been three time's and the weather was hit and mis. You need to understand that Baker Street is mainly attended by those from in and around London so they selected Brecon because it was dark and easy to get too via the M4. Planes flying over from Bristol and the weather wasn't really taken into consideration.

My advice is get yourself booked into Kelling where some of us are going. We can give you hints and tips before, during and after. Read the link below I'll be surprised if pitches on the blue field are not available. Last year was one clear night our of three, but it was worth it, you are in for treat when it does clear. By far the best place to be at that time of year.

http://www.boltonastro.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=566

EQ Mod
QHY5 Guide camera
Cannon 1000D SLR Camera

I choose to image with an 11" SCT Celestron in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard......

Post subject: Re: Brecon Beacons AstroCamp 2014
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:13 pm 

I'd agree with Carl. I did my first trip to Kelling last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. Of course if time and money are no object, you could do both as most members go to Kelling Heath on 25th Sept.
Bill