It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:55 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Comet ISON Outburst - 14th November
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:22 pm 

According to spaceweather.com, ISON has undergone a 2 magnitude outburst in the last 24 hours.

Post subject: Re: Comet ISON Outburst - 14th November
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:52 pm 

Visual report just come in from Andrew Robertson, Norwich AS

My report to the comet section:

Wonderful visual view this morning. My local forecast here in Norfolk was for cloud slowly receding as morning came. Set my alarm for 4am but only bright stars overhead could be seen, I laid in bed for a while thinking about whether it was worth getting up but had to go for it in the end. By 4.45am I could see brightish stars low down in the ESE. Once Porrima became prominent I knew it was 'on'. However there was still cloud low down which started thickening but by 5.10am it was clearing again. Sweeping below Porrima with 8.5 x 50 binoculars I saw it as a slightly fuzzy star (5.20am).
I did consider that it might be a faint star 'fuzzed' out due to thin cloud but comparisons with Theta and Chi Virginis either side of it confirmed their star like nature as opposed to ISON which clearly had a coma around a stellar core. Brilliant! - Two days earlier on Wednesday morning I could only just see it in 15 x 70 binoculars with nothing in the 8.5 x 50's so clearly it has brightened.

In the Vixen 102mm Flourite apo wonderful views changing between a 40mm Pentax e/p (x22.5 and 2.9 deg FOV) and a 27mm Panoptic (x33 & 2 deg FOV). A bright stellar core with a prominent coma around it and a long thin tail extending about 3/4 of a degree visually in the still 'claggy' skies (always hard to define where these end visually).

In the 12" Mewlon D-K at x90 it was superb! Just what observing comets visually is all about, a really bright nucleus and long thin prominent tail.
If I'd had the time I would have sketched it but it was 5.45 am now in a brightening sky with the view dimming considerably as cloud started rolling in again. For once, a clear window at just the right time!

Might get another chance tomorrow morning, the almost full moon sets at 5.50am but it is at the opposite end of the sky so hopefully will have minimal effect - I'll just set my alarm for 5am instead.

Did you get a view yourself this morning David? If not a chance tomorrow morning.

ATB,

Andrew