It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:36 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: By Jove!
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 8:37 am 

Just have a look where Jupiter will be around 3am on 15-Jul-2012 - should be a great imaging opportunity (if it's not cloudy!) :idea:

Post subject: Re: By Jove!
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:25 am 

What a shot that will be, Do you know of a bed side alarm clock which will check the cloud cover and wake me if it's clear :lol:

SkyWatcher 80ED Apro
Sky-Watcher Skymax-127 SynScan AZ GOTO
Canon 600D
Canon 400D
Opticstar PX-35C COOLAIR CCD camera

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:33 pm 
Would make a very interesting shot if all is well on the morning. Hope that we have cloud free skies that morning :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:23 pm 
Did anyone manage to get a view of this? Far too cloudy down here in Cheshire but the cat enjoyed an extra feed at 2am.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:34 pm 
Yes, us hardcore astronomers did !! well 2 of us did, Andy Martin and myself ventured up winter hill again this morning at 2.30am ! wasn't looking particularly good but we set up anyway in the hope that we may catch a glimpse, and would you believe it...... it started to rain !! ..... :roll:
But...........
Despite the wind and the rain and the cloud there was a couple of very brief gaps in the cloud which enabled me to catch this quick image of the event ....... Not brilliant and not quite fine focused (crying shame but hard to see in the rain !!) but you can clearly see the moons of jupiter and i'm chuffed with it, given the conditions we were stood in I actually think its quite unbelievable we managed anything at all, even just to see it would have been a godsend.
I cant take the whole credit for the image though as I wouldn't have even ventured up on my own. So thanks to Andy for getting up and travelling the distance to join me I really appreciated it. Andy was struggling slightly with the tracking on his new mount and was just getting it sorted when the cloud gaps would pass (we have all been there, so frustrating). As a result of this he didn't manage any images through his scope so I am going to add his name to this image in the gallery by means of recognition for his efforts.
sorry for the angle of the second shot of us both, the camera was balancing on a concrete pillar in the wind on self timer !!

Attachments:
IMG_5540.JPG
IMG_5540.JPG [ 215.57 KiB | Viewed 5821 times ]
IMG_5507.jpg
IMG_5507.jpg [ 98.44 KiB | Viewed 5821 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:03 pm 
Brilliant effort.

Glad that you managed to get to grab a glimpse of it, plus get a picture to prove it also. Stayed up until gone 0200 myself. As the clouds didn't seem to appear to be shifting I decided to cancel whole thing.

Well done guys. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:07 pm 
Well done you two, well worth it for that shot. My neighbour thinks I'm mad as I asked him to turn off his security lights so I could get a view to the east. Never mind, this blumin weather, wouldn't mind but it was reasonably clear to the north west.

Regards

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:40 pm 
All I've got to say is it was well worth the effort, it was (as I've come to discover at my peril) a fleeting chance that Dean took full advantage of by snapping the images as I was still faffing with alignment!
Dean - count me in for the next 1 mate it was a pleasure, BAS members go extreme once again lol.
I'll have to see what I've managed to capture on my canon & report back
Cheers
Andy

Attachments:
File comment: this is the best image i have unfortunately, but it gives a view of the difficulties faced by Dean when capturing the images given the clag, rain & windy conditions we faced at dark o'clock this morning!!!
IMG_0263.jpg
IMG_0263.jpg [ 138.87 KiB | Viewed 5812 times ]