It is currently Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:36 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Fireball XL6?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:42 am 

I was fortunate enough to witness my first meteor fireball last night! :D

I was outside looking at Mars with a small refractor, but by 9:35 it was starting to cloud over, so I was packing up.
Then out of the corner of my eye I saw what looked like the proverbial ball of flame flying across the sky. It took around 5-10 seconds to move between Ursa Major and Leo, at which point I lost it in the cloud. It was very bright (much brighter than Venus), but I didn't see any trail behind it.

At the time I wasn't sure what it was - it did look rather like an aircraft engine-fire, but reports in the news this morning suggest that it was indeed an exceptionally bright fireball:
http://earthsky.org/space/large-bright-meteor-seen-by-many-over-uk-on-march-3-2012

So did anyone else around here see it?

Post subject: Re: Fireball XL6?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:03 am 
Yeah I saw it whilst imaging Orion, it was awesome, I actually texted you at the time but your phone must be off .... Twitter went crazy about it and it was on sky news very soon after .... Videos of it all over you tube.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:40 pm 

I saw another ""fireball" meteor tonight - a really bright one (at least as bright as Venus).
It took about ten seconds to move through Ursa Major, at around 22:56 BST, and had split into a number of fragments, each with a "fiery tail" - it reminded me of that film of the fateful re-entry of the Columbia shuttle.

Did anyone else see it?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:30 am 
Yes Ross I saw it too, an amazing sight and looked so close that I was expecting to hear a loud crash at any moment. Like you my immediate thoughts were about the shuttle.

I had seen a smaller meteor earlier in the evening headed in the opposite direction and then later what I assume to be a satellite or a piece of debris cross the sky from North East to South West, A very eerie orange glow that disappeared abruptly, I assume as it went into the shadow of the Earth.

A bit like waiting for a bus, you wait ages and then 3 come along at once, what a night of rich pickings but I wish I'd had a camera in my pocket.

Regards

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:38 am 
There is a vid of it here:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/meteor-mania-huge-comet-spotted-1337427

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:00 am 
This was an amazing sight !!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:17 pm 
Yes Ross, I saw it and this was my first 'fireball'. It was almost like something from a scifi movie. I was out just browsing through some star clusters with my 4" refractor and decided to take a look round with the naked eye. The fireball appeared from behind a house which would suggest it radiated from the Persius / Auriga region and I watched it pass through Ursa Major before disappearing behind another house.
The colours, brightness and length of tail were fantastic to see, something I will never forget.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:52 pm 

I found this local press report of last Friday's fireball quite amusing:
Attachment:
File comment: Local press report of meteor fireball
meteor.JPG
meteor.JPG [ 53.71 KiB | Viewed 7503 times ]
particularly the idea that if a Potentially Hazardous Asteroid did get past SpaceGuard, the Leigh Fire Service would be on-hand to mop up the mess! ;)